google track

Saturday, April 19, 2014

English Paper Piecing - March progress

It's been a slow month for my english paper piecing progress.  I went away to a quilt retreat. The retreat was 4 days, but I only went for the last 2 (full day Saturday, pack up and leave at noon on Sunday).  One of the great things about being in  a room with 12 other quilters working on projects is that there are so many things to be inspired by.

One of my friends was sitting next to me, and he was making some english paper pieced hexagons, his first try. He was complaining that it would take forever to make a quilt. I suggested a more modern approach with a few hexagons on a blank canvas, and he is  a modern quilter doing improvisational piecing and using all the latest modern fabrics.  He always has the biggest pile of the most wonderful fabrics at the retreat. This time was no exception, he had a wonderful collection of oranges and grays, and at one point he was paper piecing a block, and I noticed that he had some pretty large scraps, mostly on the floor. So I asked if they were fair game, that I would use them to make some hexagons.  And here is a photo of the orange, gray, and green hexagons I made with his cast offs from his paper pieced block. If only I had been at the full 4 days of the retreat, I might have had a much bigger selection of scraps to work with.


I'm thinking I can arrange these in some sort of circle or spiral and make a modern quilt with these modern looking hexagons.  But for now, I have a baggie with these completed hexagons, in a range of sizes, as the scraps tended to be wedge shaped, allowing a larger hexagon to be made at one end, and a smaller at the other, as I tried to minimize the amount of this found fabric I discarded.

I actually made out quite well dumpster diving for interesting scraps to make into hexagons at this retreat. I never considered myself as someone who would dumpster dive at a retreat to add fabric to my stash, but this was different, reusing someone else's trash to make a useful hexagon.  Have you every dived through the little trash bins at a retreat or a sewing class to pick up fabrics to use in your hexagons?

But I also managed to make some Christmas fabric hexagons from left over pieces of fabric that I am cutting for a triangle quilt along that I joined. Here are the hexagons I have completed so far from the scraps left over :



Check out what other English Paper Piecers have been up to last month in the inhand EPP link party:


splish splash stash


And check out what other quilters have been up to this past week at Let's Bee Social!:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: