google track

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Triangle Quilt Along - Week #2


The Sassy Quilter

I joined the Triangle Quilt Along from The Sassy Quilter, and this is week #2.

These were the green fabrics I initially chose for my triangle quilt:

It is a range of prints, along with a solid, and 3 peppered cottons - shot cottons from Pepper Cory's line of shot cottons. You can see the colored threads, especially the red hanging out from one of the greens.

On the weekend, I was cleaning up, and I found a bag of solids and I decided to check to see if I had put any any greens that would go with this green quilt.

I had a number of fat quarters, and the colors are different in person - they were shot on a white background, and the bluish one isn't as blue in person. The second photo shows one where the weave creates a stripe, as well as a linen like olive.

Of course, not all fat quarters are created equal. In my case, these new solids were 17.5" x 20", so it didn't really work to cut 6" strips, so I went with 6.5" strips.  And then on to cutting the triangles. I need over 200 to make a quilt. The fat quarters I was able to get 7 or 9 triangles out of.

The half triangles are from the start of cutting each strip. Hopefully I can use these at the beginning and end of each row of the quilt.
I ended up with 28 different greens, from light green, to blue green, to olive green, to dark greens.
And of course the half-triangles that were used to cut each piece of fabric.

I've decided I want this to be a bed sized quilt, so I'm tentatively making it 20 triangles across with 14 rows using 6.5" triangles. The quilt-a-long is doing 6" triangles 16 x 12 rows.

I'm not getting great photos from my iPhone using the Flickr or the Instagram application to take the photos. What do other quilting bloggers use to take their photos of blocks and fabrics? I know that my photos look much better using a digital camera and cleaning up the image on the computer (I use google Picassa). However, that adds to the workflow, and this quilt-a-long has a flickr group that I am posting my pictures to (I had to learn how to use flickr and instagram!)

And lastly, it's the weekly "Let's Bee Social!" hosted  by Lorna McMahon. Click on the button to see some other great quilting bloggers this week.


Sew Fresh Quilts


2 comments:

  1. Those green triangles look fabulous all lined up together, Paul! And yes, those half triangles will work great on the edges. I use a digital camera for all my pictures. My daughter is the ipod/iphone owner in this house! But I too use Picassa to 'fix up' my pics. Love the Flickr community, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not subdued, more dynamic, but probably equally elegant. If you don't understand, read my comments to your other post.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment: