google track

Friday, February 14, 2014

English Paper Piecing, February

It's been a busy month, and I haven't had much time to quilt, but when ever I have a few minutes waiting at an appointment,  or during a break, I try and baste a couple of hexagons. So here are some of the hexagons I have basted the past couple of weeks. I did have a plane trip, and I managed to baste while waiting at the airport, and while on the plane. Though I found out when you are in the middle seat and you drop a bunch of hexagons on the floor, you may never seem them again. There is not much room to be able to get down and reach around to find those dropped pieces!




I have a range in sizes, with the larged being 1 1/4", with a number of 1 1/8", and 1" hexagons, but also 7/8", 3/4", 5/8", 1/2", 3/8". (you can click on one of the photos and you will get a larger image to see all the pretty fabrics I'm incorporating in my hexagon stash - that's right, I'm building a stash of completed hexagons to use in some future projects).



What I find interesting is that you can take a busy print, and when you create hexagons with that print, you get all sorts of wonderful pieces.  Here are 2 different prints cut up into 1 1/4" hexagons. The fabric on the right is a wonderful goldfish fabric.


I also love polka dot fabrics, they seem to add something when you use them in a hexagon.  Plaids and strips are also wonderful, but I didn't have any in my scrap bin to use for hexagons this past month.


And I'm slowing making progress on my EPP Landscape.  Here is where I am going with my design, I added some fish at the bottom, and in the sky, I want to do some sort of EPP hexi sun with yellow and red pieces to look like the setting sun on a hot summer's day



It's February, and it's time for another

"in hand" epp link party #5.  So follow the link and see what other English paper piecers have been up to. And you will see a reference to my last month's posting.



splish splash stash



Let's Bee Social #7. See what everyone has been up to.



Sew Fresh Quilts


stitch by stitch


8 comments:

  1. Your 'busy print' hexies are so intriguing. It will be fun to see what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the minute, I'm just making more during time I would otherwise waste. And I don't know if it has drained my scrap bucket much. I have a pile of scraps in the living room, and it seems to be getting bigger, but maybe I am just air fluffing the fabrics!. I do love how the batik fabric hex's turn out. But the bright bold colors of some of the other scraps I really like. I started with a 'sunset' theme - reds, yellows, oranges, purples, ... and I'm seeing where it goes from there. I just saw an interesting quilt with bias stems and hexi flowers - and it was in an appliqué border of a sampler quilt.

      Delete
  2. I love that you are planning a landscape using the hexi's, Paul. The flamingos are especially beautiful. What a fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorna. It's something different than the usual Grandmother's Flower Garden that people make with their hexi's.

      Delete
  3. I've always wanted to create a story quilt with Hexi's....thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love filling in wait time with some epp. it alwalys starts some great conversations when people want to know what i;m doing. when i say, "making a quilt," they are startled because of all the small pieces. too bad about your dropped hexies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea too of making a real scene.......am following you but would have preferred to follow by email, any chance you might consider adding email following to your blog please??
    I never remember to go back to blogs to see follow up replies but a regular email update, reminds me to look lol
    Delightful too to see a gentleman getting stuck in to the creative outlet too!
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I had a follow by email button, but I don't see it, so it has been added. Please let me know if it works for you.

      Delete

Please leave a comment: