google track

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

First Completed Quilts of 2014! - Strip Lap Quilts For Hospice

As part of my goals for 2014, I have decided to put effort in reducing my increasing pile of UFOs (unfinished objects), and I am participating 2 groups where we compare notes as to our progress on our respective UFO lists. I made a spreadsheet, and stopped adding UFOs once the number was above 50! Gotta leave some quilting for 2015 to work on as well.

I set a goal to complete 30 strip quilts for Hospice in 2014. I started making some strip tops in 2013, and I have tons of strips and pieces of strips in my scrap containers. I'm hoping to make a dent in all this fabric and put it to good use.

So here are my first 6 completed strip quilts for hospice for 2014:

I started making strip quilts just using various width strips that I had cut for borders, but which never got used for borders.
this is a width of fabric by 55" lap quilt, envelope style, so as to  not have to add binding, just a top stitch around the outside.  The yellow and orange fabrics really brighten up the rainbox and solid fabrics.
This second quilt has more of the lime green component, with dots, playing off the pinks and florals, and the great wine grape black fabric.

This third quilt has many of the same fabrics, but I got daring and snuck some 2 1/2" strips in with the 4 1/2" and 6 1/2" strips.
But having so many boxes of 2", 2 1/2", 3", 3 1/2", 4" and 4 1/2" strips, I just needed to mixed them up in giant jelly roll race combinations and piece them back together.
Managed to work some blocks in with the strips to break things up a bit.
And another quilt with a lot of the skinny strips.

The quilt tops from my last strip posting have gone on to the quilter, and I have another stack of strips that are slowly working their way into quilt tops for March.



Joanie’s Trendy Quilts
Sew Fresh Quilts