google track

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Slow Sunday Stitching #25

I am trying to take some of the many hexagons that I have basted and put them together into flowers for a future quilt. Given how many I have basted already, I am sure I will have a series of hexagon quilts.

Here are some 1 1/4" English Paper Pieced Hexagon flowers in batiks. These were made from jelly rolls, a convenient way to reduce the amount of cutting required. To minimize the wastage in the jelly roll fabric, between each 1" or 1 1/4" hexagon, I use the fabric to make 1/2" or 3/8" hexagons - these I have in containers basted, but I have not made the flowers yet. This enables me to have very little fabric wastage from a jelly roll, and from 1 strip I get 6 - 1" hexi's and 6 - 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" hexi's, along with 10-11 1/2" and 3/8" hexi's.


More 1 1/4" hexi's along with some 3/4" hexi's.


When I sew my hexi's together into flowers, I love to use silk thread.  My favorites are these old silk threads I picked up on EBAY on wooden spools:



top row is Talon silk 100 yds Size A and J. & P. Coats 100 yards Size A. Bottom row is Belding Corticelli in 100 yds, 70 yds, and 50 yds spools, all size A.

below are two spools of Tire silk Clover Japan 100m size 50, along with cone and spool of Superior Threads Kimono Silk #100 - 1090 yds cone and 220 yds spool:






Linking up with sarah did it HeLP for Hexie-aholics - 4/17/17

Have you been slow stitching on Sunday?

Linking up with Kathy's Quilts Slow Sunday Stitching:

Slow Sunday Stitching

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: