google track

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

English Paper Piecing - February Progress

As those of you who do hand work, you know that it is not to accomplish a "quilt in a day", but it may take many months or years to do everything by hand. But there is a feeling of accomplishment, as you use spare moments here and there, no matter where you are, to progress towards your goal.

Here are a couple of hexagon flowers I managed to put together in February.
The larger flower is made with 1 1/4" hexagons, while the other two are made with 1" hexagons.

The nice thing about making hexagons is you can fussy cut the fabrics to get a motif in the hexagon. Here are a couple of dragon flies on 1 1/4" hexagons:
I had some train travel that I managed to spend time making hexagons. These are the 1 1/4" hexagons I managed to make during February, close to 100.
But since I am using fabric scraps, I can't always get a particular size, so I also made 1 1/8" and 1" hexagons:
I managed to have a couple of strips of the blue/orange/yellow fabric that I thought would go great in the sky, and the ones on the right are from a daffodil fabric.

With all the scraps, I end up making smaller hexagons as well:

This is a range of 7/8", 3/4", 5/8", 1/2", 9/16", 7/16" and other sizes.

With my batik scraps, I can get much smaller pieces, as the weave of the fabric is finer, and it is much easier to make the smaller pieces:
The larger hexagon on the left is 1 1/4",  so you get a feeling of how small the 5/16", 3/8", and 7/16" sizes are.

These pieces will all make their way into flowers of various sizes over the coming months.

Check out with other people are making with their hexagons this month at the EPP Link Party:


splish splash stash

Sew Fresh Quilts


4 comments:

  1. I like the yellow centers of your hexagon flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All your hexies are sweet, but I do love those dragon flies especially! They look like jewels! These are so worth all the time and effort. Thanks so much for sharing your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great selection of hexies. I'm a big fan of small hexies myself and have used a lot of 1/4 inch hexies (and ocassionally smaller) in projects. They are defintiely much easier to make if you are using fine weave fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, it's slow work, but you're right about the feeling of accomplishment! those dragonflies are pretty cool. =)

    thanks for linking up with In Hand.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment: